Friday, June 14, 2013

Stopped in Stalingrad today

No ordinary dummy
But only long enough to change trains. Also went through Rome. Yesterday I passed Luxembourg. All stops on the Paris Metro.

No issues today. Six trains, on and off and through the stations without a hitch. Well, if you don't count standing in line because I forgot to bring the map I had marked up, so needed another.

Also took the 144 bus to La Defence this morning, thanks to D-L's directions, but it was too nice when I got back so walked the 2-3 miles. By Wednesday morning, my legs are either going to be in great shape or they're going to fall off.

(And, yes, I did finally get the chocolate eclair I wanted yesterday.)

Spent the afternoon at the European medical simulation conference. Some very smart and enthusiastic people applying simulation technology to improve patient safety and reduce costs. Halldale Media publishes MedSim magazine, for which I will do some writing.

Back in the 90s, I was involved in one of the pioneering healthcare simulation projects, working with Dr. David Gaba at Stanford University, as well as folks at Harvard Medical, Free University of Brussels, etc. in one of the 1st mannikin-based operating room simulators. (You can read the case study of SAM here: http://rickadamscommunications.com/rick-adams-communications-case-study-SAM-the-dummy.html.)

Healthcare faces many of the same issues as aviation. Experienced pilots and surgeons retiring in the coming years. Demand for more people to handle more complex aircraft and operations. Cost pressures. Where are we going to get all the new doctors, nurses, etc.? One of the best training answers is simulation-based training, which enables highly realistic practice on artificial 'patients.'

It's gratifying to write about people who make a difference in enhancing safety, saving lives, improving the quality of life. I may not be doing those wonderful things, but I like helping to spread the word.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment