Thursday, October 17, 2013

Played a US Open golf course

Had the pleasure of playing golf at the Northwood Club in Dallas with my award-winning golf writer friend, Art Stricklin. The course was in fantastic shape, though I do admit to some turf damage on my early no-warmup swings. First time I played since July in Montreal, though I have range-practiced a couple of times in Saint-Cyprien.

Art showed me where Ben Hogan lost the 1952 US Open when his long iron approach into the 6th bounced over the firm green and across Alpha Road. Julius Boros won the event. Sweet-swinging Jay also won the 1963 Open at The Country Club in Brookline, site of the "shot heard round the world" in 1913 when young Bostonian Francis Ouimet beat the Brits, Vardon and Ray; scene of Justin Leonard's "The Putt" in the 1999 Ryder Cup; and where I played in the 1968 US Junior which Eddie Pearce won and Gary Koch was medalist.

On Monday, Art is running the annual fundraising tournament at Northwood for Marketplace Ministries (http://mchapusa.com/), which provides about 3,000 chaplains for prisons and workplaces, serving over 50,000 people. This is now one of four MM fundraising tournaments each year around the country. I was able to donate some items for the auction and prizes, and before meeting me Art had picked up some memorabilia from Justin, who happens to be one of my clients.

The weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny, slightly cool, but not requiring a sweater. Great day ... of course, any day playing golf anywhere is a great day.

2 comments:

  1. You are just an international golfer, three courses three countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I hope I can experience the same. I am a regular player at a golf course here in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete