Friday, November 22, 2013

How do you tell if an avocado is ripe?

As Donna-Lane and I are learning to live together, day by day, she'll ask me to pick up certain fruits or vegetables or other ingredients for the day's salad or meal.

Because I've cooked very little to date ... and been (until her) a very fussy, limited eater ... I don't always know what certain things look like. Tomato or kaki fruit? Celery or scallions? Avocado or eggplant?

Add to that the dilemma that all the signs at the produce store are in French ...

And, once I have finally figured out that I have the right thing in hand, how do I know if it's ripe or not?

So when D-L asked me to pick up an avocado (avocat), she gave me a little demonstration of how firm they should be.

Guess I need another demo because, when I went to check out, Elisabeth, the produce lady, asked if I intended the avocados for the next day. Non, aujourd hui (today), I responded. So she led me across the store, selecting a pair that were more ripe than the ones I had chosen.

Now, that's small-village customer service! She could have simply allowed me to purchase something that would not meet my need - but instead she took the time and effort to make sure I walked out with the right thing.

I'm still not sure I know what a ripe avocado is supposed to feel like, but with enough practice I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment