Friday, September 26, 2014

I Went to Harvard

And I have the t-shirt to prove it. (D-L's blog has the details: http://theexpatwriter.blogspot.ch/2014/09/harvard-square.html)

Donna-Lane and I are on a 'Nostalgia Tour' of New England. First we visited Johnson City, New York, where my 91-year-old mother still lives in the same house where I grew up. We also attended my 45th high school reunion and got re-acquainted with a few friends I haven't seen since graduation.



D-L and I hit golf balls at the driving range where I spent hundreds, perhaps thousands, of hours in my teen and college years. 

Of course, we stopped at Lupo's Char-Pit, where I cooked spiedies one summer during college. (Again, Sam, sorry I ate up most of the profits.)
We also visited the old Cider Mill, where we watched them make the fresh cider and donuts and took some pumpkin pictures.
Enroute to JC from Montreal, we stopped for lunch in Saratoga Springs, renowned for its horse races and farms.
After a couple stops in New Jersey and overnight with a friend on Long Island, we just made it to the Cross Island Ferry (see D-L's Skin of Our Teeth blog - http://theexpatwriter.blogspot.ch/2014/09/the-skin-of-our-teeth.html). Enroute to the ferry, we saw a small roundabout (rond-point in French) and it made me homesick for Argeles-sur-mer.



We stopped briefly in southeast Massachusetts, where we saw a couple of college friends of D-L's whom she had not seen in more than 40 years: http://theexpatwriter.blogspot.ch/2014/09/voices.html. They served us an amazing lunch, including my first whole lobster (hey, I grew up well inland - the freshest fish was a week old).

Now we're touring the Boston area, visiting more old friends, and tomorrow D-L will show me some of the places where she grew up in Reading, MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment