Friday, November 14, 2014

First Time

Hard to believe, I played my first round of golf in France recently. Not the first time in Europe - I played in Scotland many years ago, including a delightful day at Royal Troon.

Not that I haven't been intending to play. Before I ever came over to Argeles-sur-mer, Donna-Lane had scoped out a wonderful-looking resort course in Saint Cyprien. She heartily encouraged me to get out and play. I've even hit range balls there a few times, bought a carry bag, got to know the Scottish marketing development manager ...

Just had not been able to find 5-6 hours to plan to play a round, including making a tee reservation a few days in advance.

After we returned from our two-month travels (http://lovinglifeineurope.blogspot.ch/2014/10/halfway-around-world-in-60-days.html and several posts on D-L's blog: http://theexpatwriter.blogspot.fr/2014/10/the-amsterdam-bnb.html), my American friend Gary said he'd discovered a 9-hole country course not far from ASM in Montescot.

The course reminded me of some of the outlying courses I grew up on near Binghamton NY: flat, simple, smallish greens, an occasional sand trap, a mix of grass and weeds in the fairways and rough, horse stables bordering the first fairway, quaint French village in the distance.

The best feature: the dramatic Canigou mountain in the background.

I loved it.

I noticed in the clubhouse/cafe/pro shop where we paid our fees that the course record is a 69, three under the par of 72. I realize I haven't played much the past few years, but I've still got game. And now I also have a goal - I want to beat that record.

No comments:

Post a Comment