Thursday, February 11, 2016

In Search of Elizabeth Gray, Candidate for US President

Is this the home of the future US President?
Who is Elizabeth Gray? No one seems to know.

A few hours ago, I had never heard of her. Now I am on a quest to find out whatever I can about her.

Elizabeth Gray is one of 13 people listed on the official ballot in the Texas Republican Party primary as a qualified candidate for President of the United States. In the Collin County ballot, which I will use to vote, Ms. Gray is listed just below Ted Cruz and above Rick Santorum and Donald J. Trump.

In theory, Elizabeth Gray could become the first female President.

If anyone can find her.

As I am not particularly enamored of any of the Republican candidates, I thought I'd check out Ms. Gray's views on some of the key issues. What does she think of the growing income equality gap? Does she advocate breaking up the too-big-to-jail banks? Does she favor sending more American soldiers to die in the deserts of the Middle East? Will she build fences across the Mexican and Canadian borders? Will she repeal the FATCA law which is ruining the daily lives of Americans overseas? (That's my personal hot-button issue, and Rand Paul would get my vote for being one of the plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the US government to overturn it.)

However, the only information I could find on the web about Ms. Gray was her address in Taylor, Texas, a little crossroads town northeast of Austin.

Apparently her campaign doesn't even have a website. (Or even a yard sign.)

I thought perhaps the "local" newspaper would know about a homegrown candidate for the highest office in the free world, so I contacted the Austin American-Statesman.  John B, Managing Editor, responded promptly:  "Other than the name on the ballot, I’ve heard nothing about Ms. Gray. I can’t advise you as a voter, but if a candidate can’t find a way to produce a website to espouse his or her views, I usually don’t think much of his or her ability to lead the country." 

John explained that to get on the GOP presidential ballot in Texas a candidate must either pay $5,000 or gather 300 signatures in 15 different congressional districts —"so anyone who really wants to can 'run' for president."  Wow! Maybe I'll run in 2020. (Or maybe I'll think of a few thousand better ways to spend $5K.)

Now my interest was really piqued. I want to know what this woman stands for. I want her to be invited to one of the debates - since there are now several empty podiums available.

So I reached out to one of the best research sources I know of: a local librarian. Karen E, Taylor town librarian extraordinaire, responded to my email by contacting the City Clerk, the county Election Department, the county Republican offices ("who had no information on Ms. Gray - I had to give him her name and address"), and the "really local" newspaper, the Taylor Press. "Hopefully the Taylor Press reporters will have some luck," Karen told me. " It’s not every day that a local Taylorite ends up on a national ballot." 

Karen couldn't resist a little dig: "I guess she’s very, very under the radar and no insults from Trump just yet."

Then I got a message from Jason H, News Editor at the Taylor Press (whom I had also contacted separately from the librarian), who gave me the sad news that they had learned Ms. Gray had withdrawn from the race. I guess it was her disappointing showing in New Hampshire, much like Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina.

But wait. Jason sent me another message. Taylor Press is reaching out to Ms. Gray for an interview. We may yet learn something about her. I simply must know.

And, since her name is still on the ballot, Texans can vote for her. Maybe I will. Is it possible I will be the one and only person to vote for Elizabeth Gray? Is that the definition of "one person, one vote"?

Who will join me? Let's get a grassroots tsunami going for Elizabeth Gray! We don't know who she really is or what she stands for, but how is that different from most of the candidates we've ever voted for?

19 comments:

  1. I voted today and Ms. Gray's name on the ballot was the only one that didn't repulse me (because I know nothing of her.)

    So I voted for her.

    Yay for the underdog. :) All the other candidates can go bite me.

    I guess Ms. Gray will have at least two votes.

    By the way, I found your site while I was trying to find out just who Elizabeth Gray is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ditto, both on the vote and the website

      Delete
    2. Maybe she is Elizabeth "50 shades of" Gray. She has my vote.

      Delete
    3. Not quite the type of language I would use, but my sentiments exactly. She received more votes than Lindsey Graham, Rick Santorum, Carly Fiorina and Chris Christie. 65,471 people voted for the 8 candidates who had withdrawn, helping to insure that Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton will be our next president. Thank you, anti-intellectuals.

      Delete
  2. Make it three votes for Ms. Gray! I also found your site while trying to hunt her down. Hopefully Taylor Press does a story on her! I'd love to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of her name, and that's as good as any other criterion for picking people in this crazy election cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's getting my vote, why not. Knowing nothing about her can't make her any less desirable than than current pack of crazy trolling for votes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then I would be 6, hoping for more

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am as yet undecided, but her curiosity approach is quite appealing. As they say, "It is better to remain silent and let people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." It is a real bummer that she dropped out. I am glad that she will still get some votes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth Gray owes me $5,000. Let me know if you find her.

    Regards,
    Donald Trump

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering who this person is from the sample ballot. I might just vote for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I voted for a man for President on my automatic voting machine, and then I did a "review" of my ballot. There were two people that were checked, and one was Elizabeth Gray, that I did NOT check. I had to have the "judge" help me undo my votes, and start over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same happened to me in Round Rock but I figured out how to change it back to Cruz

      Delete
  10. WTH? She got about 1,200 votes in Williamson County during early voting but only a total 1,900 in all counties combined. This doesn't sit well

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Mother's name was Elizabeth Gray and I was as surprised as anyone to see " her" name on the Ballot yesterday! She passed away 5 years ago, but was a College Professor and taught at UT, Kansas State , lived in Alaska and was a wonderful Woman! Thanks for those who liked her name enough to vote for her(-: One odd thing is, she had family long ago in Taylor, Texas.,

    ReplyDelete
  12. she received 878 votes in Midland County

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clinton, Cruz, Sanders, or Trump. America is racing to the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting and very out standing information about the vote and your blog providing very nice information well done.
    candidates for President of USA

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete