Thursday, April 20, 2017

Hair Architect

I went to see my hair engineer today - Sam. Samantha, actually.

For the past few months she's been working on adding a bit of curl to my hair, which all my life has been as fine and straight as can be. (By the way, at age 65 ... 66 tomorrow, I'm thrilled to have a full head of hair; take that, Lou.)

I curled it just for fun to begin with, but turns out I like it. So does D-L, which is even more important.

I explained to Sam that we were going to Washington this week, where Donna-Lane is going to testify before the U.S. Congress on the repeal of FATCA (https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2017/02/06/dear-president-trump-please-repeal-fatca/#18edd7ed31f6). After the hearing, which may be televised on C-Span, there's a press conference.

I expect to be in the background, but you never know. So I don't want to take a chance that, as D-L's husband, my hairstyle might given someone pause about getting rid of this draconian law because they think I look like a hippie (I prefer the term Bohemian.). I told Sam that in American culture, men with long straight hair are often assumed to be homeless (can't afford a haircut?) Ponytail? A high school loner who never wanted to grow up. However, men with long curly hair are more likely to be regarded as, shall we say, trendy.

During the process, Sam applied two different solutions to my hair after it was in curlers. So I asked her the purpose of each. Seems the first breaks down the "disulphide bonds" of the straight hair and the second helps those bonds reform in the new curly shape. Hair architecture, if you will.

It won't stay as tightly curled as you see it above, which is fine too. At least there's some wave to it now. (Full front view in a few days.) And it does not look in any way "corporate," as I did until 3-4 years ago.
About 8-9 years ago - the hand and leg belong to my grandson

No comments:

Post a Comment